« Things are looking up and away... | Main | Departure now Thursday morning »

May 6, 2005

Delay to strong winds - Moksha has a new guide

We were originally looking to head off this morning, but a series of high pressures converging in southern Australia have freshened the wind strength to 20-25 knots in the north and especially outside of Darwin harbour, so we're putting off until Tuesday, 0600 hours local time.

This afternoon we launch Moksha on the high tide at the Dinah Beach YC boat ramp, then pedal around the corner to Tipperary Marina where Peter has kindly offered to sponsor us a few days on a free berth. Darwin has a very large tidal range, with the low tide drying significant areas outside the Dinah Beach YC, so the advantage of keeping her in a marina with a lock is she'll stay in the water until we set off. We can start to load the heavy gear and food without putting her under any undue strain if she was on dry land.

Our friends Kris and Natalie gave Moksha a new spirit guide yesterday to see her and the crew safely to Timor. The combination of a turtle, very much a local in these waters, and the powerful mandala in the middle will, I am sure bring us good luck!


Also finished all my vaccinations yesterday for Indonesia. Looks like a shopping list for a hypochondriac...

Yellow Fever
Hepatitus A
Hepatitus B
Japanese Encephalitus
Measles, Mumps Rubella

And of course the anti-malarials for when we're up in the exposed area.

Posted on May 6, 2005 5:51 AM


I'm in fifth grade and have studied turtles alot. They are magical and I think that the turtle on the front of your boat is a really cool symbol. Good luck on your trip.

Posted by: Chelsey at May 7, 2005 3:51 AM

Right behind you, Jase! - Dale

Posted by: Dale in Port at May 6, 2005 8:44 AM